Recovery supports, accommodation and services – your way
What is Supported Independent Living?
Supported Independent Living (SIL) is a new model of supported accommodation funded by the NDIS.
It provides in-home support, up to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help individuals experiencing mental health challenges to live with independence, in shared living arrangements in most instances.
In certain situations of high support needs, SIL is also available for individual living arrangements.
Tailored to your needs
On entering Richmond Wellbeing’s SIL accommodation, every resident is given choices to create an individually tailored program of supports they need, to reflect how they want to live their life.
Support starts with everyday tasks like cleaning, cooking and personal care, with an aim to develop your skills to live as independently as possible.
For example, after working together to identify what areas of daily life you find most challenging, you may receive help with tasks including:
- decision making, daily planning and budgeting
- building skills for shopping and cooking for healthy eating
- written communication and filling in forms
- specialised behaviour support
- maintaining a household
- developing and maintaining connections with family and friends.
Richmond Wellbeing uses a mix of highly trained and experienced staff who can provide a safe and supportive environment.
Who is SIL for?
SIL services are suitable for 18 to 65 olds who live with a psychosocial-disability. There are three varying levels of need provided for under the NDIS SIL funding arrangements:
- Lower need – provides supervision of living arrangements as a whole including occasional to intermittent prompting to undertake household tasks and/or self- care activities. This supervision is not usually provided 24/7.
- Standard need –provides 24/7 support including active assistance or supervision of most daily tasks and regular inactive overnight support.
- Higher need –provides intensive 24/7 support including continual, active assistance with all daily tasks, specialised behaviours support and active overnight supervision support.
Your level of need will be determined by the NDIS planner assigned at the time of application.
Every resident is given choices to create an individually tailored program of supports they need, to reflect how they want to live their life.
To be eligible to access Supported Independent Living, you need to fit the following criteria:
- You require access to 24/7 support
- You are over the age of 18
- You have an NDIS Plan with approval for Supported Independent Living OR you have funding for Investigating Housing Solutions and expect that your Plan will include Supported Independent Living funding
The easiest way is to contact Richmond Wellbeing on 1800 RICHMOND (1800 742 466). Richmond Wellbeing NDIS Services enable individuals to participate in a life with purpose. We can help you find out if you are eligible and work with you to develop your support plan. Alternatively, you can find information about eligibility on the NDIS website.
The first step to accessing SIL services is to apply to the NDIS.
Once you have an NDIS Plan with approval for Supported Independent Living or you have funding for Investigating Housing Solutions and expect that your plan will include Supported Independent Living funding, Richmond Wellbeing can help you.
Want to know more?
We are here for you
If you would like to know more about Supported Independent Living, your eligibility, or are ready to get started with Richmond Wellbeing, please email or call our team on 1800 RICHMOND (1800 742 466) to discuss your needs.